Home › Story So Far
story so far
 

The History of Salwan Education Trust dates back to Dec. 5, 1941

The founder, Late Pt. Girdhari Lal Salwan, was born in the year 1902 in a remote village of Kartarpur, Punjab, in the family of Pt. Mool Raj Salwan. The family shifted to Peshawar in the erstwhile undivided India.

In the year 1936, due to adverse circumstances, the education of minorities took a backseat in Peshawar. Literacy was at its lowest ebb and attainment of education was very difficult for the middle and the lower middle classes.

In this Pre-Partition Era – full of adversities , Pt. Girdhari Lal Salwan - a visionary, vowed to impart education to all, irrespective of class, caste, religion and creed - free of cost.
 
His pragmatism urged him to venture forward dauntlessly and so, he set up Salwan Education Trust at Peshawar, Pakistan in 1941. Thus, came into existence Salwan Sanatan Dharam High School for Boys and Salwan Sanatan Dharam High School for Girls. These schools, standing tall in Peshawar, till date, are a living tribute to the dynamism of this philanthropic personality who had dared to dream.

Partition unleashed untold misery and suffering. Communal riots broke out everywhere. He supported the minorities in Peshawar and gave shelter to the distressed in his house.

While saving a number of families, he lost his eldest son in the fire of communal riots. He had to leave his native place in 1947, Post Partition.

The situation worsened and he came to Delhi bringing with him hundreds of his brethren. With his effort, they were accommodated in tents, in the area which is now called Rajendra Nagar.
 
Destiny itself had to bow before the resolve, commitment and enterprise of this Great Man. Providing education to the children of the displaced being uppermost in his mind, his untiring efforts resulted in the allotment of a barren piece of rugged land, by the Ministry of Rehabilitation for the purpose of establishing a school. Thus came into being, in the year 1949, the Salwan Boys School building, followed by Salwan Girls School in 1952 and Salwan Public School in 1953.

And today 11 schools are running successfully under the aegis of Salwan Education Trust

A man of great foresight, Pt. G.L.Salwan had conceptualized partnership in education by introducing the theory of sharing of facilities between Public Schools and the schools for the underprivileged. This beautiful partnership still exists. The schools in Rajendra Nagar are an example of how sharing can help in providing quality education to all, irrespective of class, caste, creed and religion.
 
Many distinguished and eminent personalities have been associated with the Salwan Education Trust-

Shri. Dharam Vira, Retd. ICS officer & Former Lt. Governor of Delhi, Shri. T.R.Tuli, Former Chairman Punjab National Bank, Prof. G.S.Randhawa, Former Vice Chancellor, Guru Nanak Dev University, Shri. Justice Hardayal Hardy, Justice Prithviraj, Shri. S.D.Verma, Justice H.L.Anand, Brigadier M.L. Khetarpal, Lt. General. H. S. Seth, Dr. A.S.Panital, have been the Hon'ble Trustees in the past.